Vandana Shiva is coming to Halifax as the keynote for the Food Secure Canada conference in November 13-16.
OUR 8TH ASSEMBLY
Hundreds of food leaders from across Canada will converge on Halifax November 13-16th, 2014 for Waves of Change: Sustainable Food for All, Food Secure Canada’s eighth National Assembly.
Farmers, fishers, dietitians, policy makers, activists, entrepreneurs, community organizers, indigenous leaders, students, academics and more will create three jam-packed days of programming, networking opportunities, and learning sessions. This is the first time the FSC Assembly has been held in Atlantic Canada and this edition will feature the top experts from the region as well as across the country with a special focus on fisheries.
Amongst, others, the Assembly will feature:
- world-renown writer, activist and seed campaigner Vandana Shiva
- award winning author of Clearing the Plains, James Daschuk
- Council of Canadian and right to water activist, Maude Barlow
- writer, food fixer and trouble-solver, Wayne Roberts
- Nova Scotia’s Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. Robert Strang
- Fish, Food and Allied Workers Secretary General, Dave Decker
- author and founder of Community Food Centres Canada, Nick Saul
- Indigenous activist, Arctic Institute of Community Based Research, Norma Kassi
From the 130 proposals submitted, the first set of panels and workshops have been approved. More sessions and program details will become available over the summer and a final program of activities will be released in September. Already, the menu is incredibly rich, with a wide variety of sessions on everything from fisheries to financialization of food.
Early bird registration is now open at a special discount of $340 for Food Secure Canada members ($450 for others). You can join FSC here. It is also possible to register early for a table at our exhibition showcase: Take a Stand.
The Assembly is organized by Food Secure Canada and Food ARC at Mount Saint Vincent University, in collaboration with theNova Scotia Food Security Network and ACORN (which holds its 15th conference in the same location).